Sunday, June 7, 2009

1st Day at the Pool = ER Visit

This post is late, go-figure. So last Saturday we dealt with burning down the kitchen and the very next day, chaos continued...

Last weekend was the much anticipated re-opening of our community pool. We splish-splashed and swam around for nearly two hours when the "hurt cry" halted our festivities. Even new parents quickly learn to differentiate between cries. There's the "I'm angry" cry, "I'm tired" cry and the "I'm hurt" cry. This cry grabbed the attention of every parent at the pool. Chandler limped up the stairs of the pool and although I was fairly far away, I could see the blood. Our pool is irregular shaped and instead of corners that cut out like a traditional rectangular pool, there are areas with little alcoves where corners cut in. Chandler was swimming/kicking and his ankle struck one of the corners that jutted out, splitting his ankle open. Pressure applied, bleeding slowed... but not stopped. Quick examination of his wound and I knew he needed sutures.

Four hours later, we left the ER... all sutured up! Chandler was so incredibly brave. Even the doctors and nurses commented on how well he handled the procedure! No tears!

Also pictured... Chandler's first set of stitches.. at 12 months old. So my fault... and to this day I am consumed with guilt when I think about it. In his 1 yr old birthday party pictures he is all bandaged. =(




1 comment:

  1. Hey, he's a boy, right? ALL little boys get stitches...or visit the emergency room, at least a few times. And I hear that if you have two, you average once yearly. :) I should email you the photo of Tyler when he ran headlong into our couch and got fabric burn...way worse than any road rash could've been. It happens, they heal, and at least as a nurse, you know exactly what to do and don't panic like the rest of us! BIG high five to the man for being such a tough guy!!!

    ReplyDelete