Monday, May 4, 2009

No one has claimed the $174.4 million Powerball jackpot on Feb. 28?

There has got to be a really good reason for this. I could only come up with a few reasons why it remains unclaimed and none of them seem very delightful.

What would you do if you won the lottery? Seriously? I am not so sure I would want my life to change. I have long purported that materialism is not the key to happiness. I went to HS in Orange County, CA, where students with very wealthy parents vastly outnumbered those who were struggling to get by. My parents were one of the strugglers, trying to get by from paycheck to paycheck and sometimes those weren't even enough. I am NOT complaining. In fact, I think I was a much happier teenager than many of my peers whose parents threw money and gifts at them in lieu of time and interest.

But what would I do if I had that winning ticket?

Not in any particular order:
1. Build a house as eco-friendly and green as possible on a small lot. Think solar panels on the roof!
2. I would keep my job. That's right.. I love it. I would probably switch to PRN, but I wouldn't quit. Taking care of the smallest patients gives me satisfaction that is unmatched!
3. I would buy my parents a new car. They both have older cars that need some TLC.
4. I would give a HUGE chunk to my department at work, my church, and my child's school.
5. I would pay off my serious dental bill I just racked up.. (my teeth are currently aching!)
6. I would go on multiple medical missions, hopefull 1-2 a year for the rest of my life!
7. I would try to start some sort of recycling, eco-friendly awareness assembly for elementary schools... those kids are our future!
8. Make sure Chandler's future college costs are covered so that he can make a difference in the world.

The rest? I dunno. I'd keep my 6 year old car.. my clothes are fine... I'd love to get out of this apartment so Chandler can learn what grass feels like under his feet! I really wouldn't even want all of the money.

Money is nice... but it isn't everything!

1 comment:

  1. Touche. Not a BAD thing to have needs take precedence over wants as a kid...or adolescent...or teen...or even as an adult. :) You raise a great question, though, and I love your answers. I fear my super-green house would be on a HUGE lot, though; a) I could preserve some nature! and b) I want to grow a giant garden, keep some chickens and animals and whatnot, and still have room for the munchkins to run around. I think I'd be ALL FOR spoiling my folks (and in-laws), paying off college debt, putting $ away for Tyler's mission fund, Mikayla's wedding, our retirement, and the like...and I would probably go ahead and replace my 18 YEAR-OLD and Jason's 11 YEAR-OLD car. Yup. I would. Oh, and probably take a honeymoon with my husband...8 years late. Beyond that? I'm with you. Who needs that kind of money?

    ReplyDelete